Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Melting Layer

I wish for the ice to fill the puddles
before walking onto the fragile layer.

Soon I am stepping slowly towards the frozen slate
wondering about what's below,
Searching for glitches, Underneath,
I feel the crunching ice run up my leg.
Tonight I will stay on its melting layer.

But for now I try to stay above what
this layer must be holding back,
the palms of my hands scraping as I grasp the surface.


Original poem
Billy Collins
Walking Across the Atlantic

I wait for the holiday crowd to clear the beach
before stepping onto the first wave.

Soon I am walking across the Atlantic
Thinking about Spain,
checking for whales, waterspouts.
I feel the water holding up my shifting weight.
Tonight I will sleep on its rocking surface.

But for now I try to Imagine what
this must look like to the fish below,
The bottoms of my feet appearing, disappearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment